Close Menu
Defence Line
    What's Hot

    Chinese Experts Read the Trump-Xi Summit as a Power-Shift Moment – The Diplomat

    May 21, 2026

    India’s Rafale Interface Control Document Dispute Highlights Limits of Technology Transfer

    May 21, 2026

    The Navy Needs to Go All-In on V-22 Readiness Upgrades

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Defence LineDefence Line
    • Home
    • Asia Pacific
    • US-Russia
    • NATO Europe
    Subscribe
    Defence Line
    Home»Defence & Security»Strait of Hormuz escort missions would ‘exceed’ Navy’s capacity, CNO says
    Defence & Security

    Strait of Hormuz escort missions would ‘exceed’ Navy’s capacity, CNO says

    Defenceline WebdeskBy Defenceline WebdeskMay 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    WASHINGTON — The Navy doesn’t have the bandwidth to escort commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz, according to the Navy’s top officer.

    “There are many things we can continue doing to enhance the blockade, and but to actually start doing something where I’m providing escort services through a contested straight will, in my military opinion, exceed the capacity of the Navy to do that effectively,” Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Daryl Caudle told lawmakers on the Senate Appropriations Committee today. 

    The US Navy has enforced a blockade of all maritime traffic entering and exiting Iranian ports since April, although transit through the strait itself is not blocked by the US for vessels traveling to and from non-Iranian ports. Still, the threat of attack from Iran or its proxies has kept a vast majority of ships from braving the waterway.

    In early March President Donald Trump announced a plan in which “[i]f necessary, the United States Navy will begin escorting tankers through the Strait or Hormuz, as soon as possible.” But such an escort mission never came to fruition.

    Then, earlier this month Trump said only that naval ships would aid commercial ships under Project Freedom, only to reverse course two days later. At the time, he said the pause came per the request of Pakistan and “other Countries,” and cited the US military campaign’s “tremendous” success.

    Today, Caudle cautioned an escort mission would prove a heavy lift. 

    “If we go try to do escort with that, we have looked into that,” Caudle said. “That’s a very challenging mission in that narrow strait when it’s contested, and so when you’re in a contested environment to de-mine the strait of Hormuz or to do escort duty — is not something that’s easy to do. So we’re going to have to get to a place that that strait is open with a generally accepted ceasefire before that can be turned on en masse.”

    Even so, Caudle said that the blockade is proving effective and has facilitated advancing negotiations with Iran. According to US Central Command, US forces have redirected 94 commercial vessels and disabled four as part of enforcing the blockade.

    “The blockade has probably been the single most important military operation we’ve done to try to get negotiations to the place where they even are, and we’re getting better at it,” Caudle said. “We’re getting more efficient.”

    Meanwhile, negotiations are ongoing with Tehran. Trump said Monday he had scrapped an attack on Iran planned for Tuesday, amid “serious” peace talks. Trump told reporters on Wednesday that the US is in the “final stages of Iran,” but also said later that day that he isn’t in a rush to secure a deal. 



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Defenceline Webdesk

    Related Posts

    To train for contested environments, SOCOM and SOUTHCOM want more ranges, authority

    May 21, 2026

    Pentagon considers restoring Army aviation cuts announced just last year

    May 21, 2026

    First Defense Critical Infrastructure summit aims to develop repeatable playbook

    May 21, 2026

    Hurst nominated as full Pentagon comptroller

    May 21, 2026
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Economy News

    Chinese Experts Read the Trump-Xi Summit as a Power-Shift Moment – The Diplomat

    Indo-Pacific May 21, 2026

    When China’s leader Xi Jinping welcomed U.S. President Donald Trump to Beijing on May 13,…

    India’s Rafale Interface Control Document Dispute Highlights Limits of Technology Transfer

    May 21, 2026

    The Navy Needs to Go All-In on V-22 Readiness Upgrades

    May 21, 2026
    Top Trending

    Chinese Experts Read the Trump-Xi Summit as a Power-Shift Moment – The Diplomat

    Indo-Pacific May 21, 2026

    When China’s leader Xi Jinping welcomed U.S. President Donald Trump to Beijing…

    India’s Rafale Interface Control Document Dispute Highlights Limits of Technology Transfer

    India Defence May 21, 2026

    India’s pursuit of technical sovereignty in defence production is increasingly colliding with…

    The Navy Needs to Go All-In on V-22 Readiness Upgrades

    Strategic Affairs May 21, 2026

    Sandy Clark, RCDefense In the Navy’s force of helicopters and tiltrotor aircraft,…

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 Defenceline. Designed by Digitwebs.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.