BELFAST — Organizers of the UK’s Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) said today that the event has been cancelled because of “uncertainty over access” to the Royal Air Force (RAF) base in Fairford, England, “given the ongoing situation in the Middle East.”
“It is with great disappointment that we are letting you know this year’s Royal International Air Tattoo will not be taking place,” the organizers said in a statement. “This has not been an easy decision,” but it was made after “extensive discussions” with the RAF and the US Air Force.
The cancellation notice added that anyone who has bought a ticket for the show, which was slated for July 17-19, will be eligible for a full refund or can request to have their ticket rolled over for the 2027 edition.
The organizers said in February that more than 70,000 tickets had been sold for this year’s show, which has long been a key fixture for European and international military aviation stakeholders.
According to the RIAT website, a list of air forces had confirmed their participation for the show, including Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the US.
The annulation of the event follows British Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s March agreement to a request that authorizes the US Air Force to use RAF Fairford for “specific defensive operations” in Iran.
As many as 15 US bombers, comprising B-1B and B-52 aircraft, were reportedly stationed at the base, days after the UK cleared them for the campaign against Tehran.
